SSL is today’s safety standard for customers visiting your website allowing them to safely use their data on your website. SSL Certificates are tiny files which digitally bind a kryptographic key to your domain. When installed on a server, it activates the padlock and the https protocol and allows secure connections from a web server to a browser. SSL is used to secure credit card transactions, email and logins, and is becoming the standard when securing internet browsing.
Usually SSL encryption costs money, with the cheap website you purchase through me however free SSL is included. To do so I use the free service of https://letsencrypt.org If you prefer your own dedicated SSL certificate please contact me for a custom quote. Let’s Encrypt is a free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA), run for the public’s benefit.
They give people the digital certificates they need in order to enable HTTPS (SSL/TLS) for websites, for free.
The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:
- Free: Anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic: Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent: All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open: The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be published as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organization.
So I say thank you guys and to you my dear Customer I install one of those free SSL certificates on every cheap website you purchase through me, you won’t have to worry about it at all.
What Exactly is SSL?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is simply THE standard security for browsing the web in our day, it establishes and encrypted link between your browser and the web server of the website you are visiting. This private link makes certain that all data which goes back and forth between your browser and the web server you are visiting remains private. SSL has become the internet industry standard and is currently being used by millions of websites, no longer just your online banking page uses it but it can even be found on a cheap website.
To create an SSL connection a specific SSL Certificate is required which confirms the identity of the person or company behind the domain name you are visiting. The Certification Authority validates these details and issues an SSL Certificate containing those identifying details and allowing you the use of SSL.
However complex it sounds the only thing the visitor to the website notices is that he is no longer surfing to an http:// domain but to an https:// domain indicated clearly with a lock icon displaying the used SSL Certificate. An SSL Certificate is either issued to a company or an individual which have been identified, the information collected includes details like the domain name, company name and address details. With any cheap website you purchase from me an SSL certification is included and the certificate automatically renews upon expiry so you do not have to ever worry about it.